Sunday, December 28, 2008

Tamales, Tamales, Tamales


I'm dreaming tonight about....tamales! Actually, I've been thinking about this for months, then we had the Vintage Winter Gathering to work on, then I had all the baking, and of course Christmas to prepare for...and now, it's almost New Years!! And in this next new year, I have some projects in my head dying to be a reality!
My first project? Tamales of course! I want to invite some friends from church, some friends not from my church, some people who maybe don't even know how to cook- to learn to make tamales together! I was telling Natalie, my friend who I just found out is also a tamale-maker, about what I want to do, and she said she'd teach us!

Tamales remind me of the time we went down to Baja to work in a Christian orphanage for a month (Foundation For His Ministry). This was a wonderful experience for our family! No vacation could have compared, and I've always wanted to go back and do this, which is actually a goal of ours. But tamales....I remember driving into Encinada with my kids and laughing b/c there were so MANY tamales shacks along the road. I mean, how do you decide where to eat?? There must be a code about this or something.

I've always wanted to make tamales, and I'm going to learn together with friends. Should be a great time. Some other goals I have for this next year like the tamale-making day are:
1. Kristin and I want to teach people to can for their families. I'm surprised how many people don't know how to do this, but you can save a LOT of money, and provide some food that you know is good for them because you know what is in it. I don't understand why there aren't more programs out there to teach women about nutrition, preserving food, cooking, gardening???? I really think personally that things are going to get a little tough for a lot of people, and I'd like to help in this small way.
I guess I just listed some of the other things I want to work on! I don't have a lot of time, but I do have a little time to share what I can share, find someone else who can share their knowledge on things and is willing to help. So, now you know why I'm dreaming of tamales! It will beone of the first things on my list of things to accomplish this year.

So Natalie, I'm going to be in touch soon, to plan a day for this!!

16 comments:

The Texas Woman said...

What wonderful goals! I love tamales, but then I love everything Tex-Mex or Mexican. I'm lucky I live down here where they are plentiful.

The Texas Woman

trash talk said...

Tamales are always on the table for Christmas Eve at my house. I don't make them, but my daughter's MIL does-Oh My! When she tells me how much time goes into making them, I'm impressed. Y'all should have a great time doing it. Debbie

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Remember the cardinal rule about tamale-making, MAKE LOTS OF THEM! Then freeze the extras! They are EASY to make! Wish I could send you my giant tamale-steamer, made just for stacking tamales in.

PLEASE teach others how to can. It is a lost science. And now that there are almost no Extension homemaker agents any more, such a class would be so important and needed!!!!

Karen said...

I remember home extension! My mom did that, I can remember them doing a Hawaiin recipe day (my sister and I got to dress the part), Chinese food lessons, etc. Wonder why they don't do Home-extension anymore?? Karen

Actresschick said...

I hope you have a swell time! I've been dreaming about tamales too, because we used to have them on either Christmas Eve or New Years Eve when I lived in Texas. You don't find good ones in Ohio!

Barn House said...

We were supposed to make Tamales on Christmas, but got snowed in and couldn't get out to buy the ingredients...gosh darnit! Well, we hope you have lots of fun learning and teaching the art of making tamales.

J & J

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Yum! I have a mexican neighbor who makes them for me.
I wonder too why there aren't more food/teaching/healthy school lunches across this ailing fat land. Schools should grow some food and serve it up I think.

Anonymous said...

Larger sized tamales relieve some of the effort it takes to make those dozens of traditional ones.
Somewhere in TVland I watched the
host make broader, squarish tamales,
same ingredients & wrapping procedure
as for the smaller ones.

Karen said...

I didn't know so many people have tamales for Christmas! Yum, anytime! What a good idea, doing super-sized ones! Karen

Debra said...

Oh my! Tamales are my hubby's favorite food! He would be the happiest man on earth if I learned to make them!

Debra said...

Hi Karen- Thanks for dropping by my blog.I am not sure why the link to my blog does not work- otheres have it on their blog & it doesn't work for them either!

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

I agree that those are wonderful goals and I hope you are able to achieve them all.

Enjoy your tamales too!

cherry said...

Those sound yummy...I have never made homemade ones before...My MOM loves them. cherry

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

How fun! Learning to make tamales!!

happy zombie said...

Oh tamales! My family always has them on Christmas Eve. And since the weather prevented us from going down to Calif. for Christmas... I did what I had to do... I got a tamale at Plaza Jalisco in Astoria!

I would LOVE to learn how to make tamales. If you do do a tamale 101 day... will you keep me in mind?!?!

PS... I'm cracking up about you and me photo-grocery shopping!

Doda said...

Yummy. We used to eat these when we lived in Belize!