Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My First Hummingbird! YES!!!


Today as I was doing a few things that took me outside, I was amazed at how warm it was. I'd say 58 degrees wasn't bad. I mean, that's only 12 degrees from summer! Considering that in December we were having VERY cold weather, I think this warmth we had was a good sign. I forgot to check, did the groundhog see his shadow? I also forgot which was it goes if he DID see it?? Oh well, between you and me, I think spring's trying to pop out all over.

And I know I spilled the beans by my title, but you know, one year, I had a hummingbird come to my window on February 13th. This was several years ago, and I was so surprised to see him so early, I've begun a watch every year to see when the first one comes. I just told my kids a few days ago, PLEASE tell me when you see a hummingbird.

And guess what? Yep, there was one out on the porch today! How exciting is that? I hurried to the kitchen to make some syrup, b/c he's expecting it, right? It's amazing how they come back every year! And they just seem to me to be like flowers; the first sign of spring. Yes, they are like a flying bouquet, with all their color.

A week or so ago, we went out and did some raking from the winds we had had, and it's always a little sad to see so much work to do. Our huge maple tree seems to just be so hard on the lawn. I try to get all the leaves up, but there's always that period of time where I can't get out there, it's too rainy or something else is going on, and even just a few leaves left on the ground will put my lawn in a mess. I've been looking out the window near my sewing room, busy inside, but needing to get out there and work. Randy's getting some things done in my greenhouse for me this weekend, if all goes well. I'm very anxious to get that going. Right now, I've got cuttings I took last fall of all kinds of plants, to see if I could get them to start. I actually think some might have made it, and what a wonderful thing that would be, to actually propigate my own plants!

Spring? Bring it on!!

6 comments:

Florence said...

Oh how we are seeing the signs of spring,I just hope we don't get any heavy snow, which could happen still in February. That is cool that you have a hummingbird. I had them hanging around here late this year. Hugs to you. Florence

s45ad446512gd said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

What a lovely blog! No real signs of spring here yet, just melting snow and fog, but one day soon...!

Anne Lorys said...

I just adore hummingbirds, and so does my cat! She's mesmerized by the ones that come close to "her" window. :-)

And ya know what else I love? Your Etsy shop! I just became a customer!

XO,
Anne

sjmcdowell said...

Oh how I love hummingbirds as well!! I have a hummingbird feeder
in my back yard...whenever I see one I can't breath for that instant I see one..I suppose I feel if I take a breath I will somehow miss every minute second that he/she is there...funny huh?
Hey so I'm following you..you now have "45" Yay!! I enjoyed reading some of your posts and I will check back often! Have a super day you and your family! Hugsss Susan in Georgia.

Funky Junk Sisters said...

Love your blog! When you get a chance come on over and check ours out funkyjunksisters.blogspot.com. Hey we would love to have you join us as vendors at our Funky Junk Sister Vintage Flea Market!

Linda & Dixie
The Funky Junk Sisters