Friday, September 26, 2008

Endings and Beginnings


I do love fall, I love everything about fall. There is only one thing I don't love, and that is that winter comes right after! I wouldn't even mind winter too much, except for the fact that it is as long as the other seasons, but seems longer. Know what I mean? Well, it's fall, I LOVE it!
I've nearly finished my canning, yay! I actually got quite a lot done this year, and I was amazed thinking back, at how much of it actually didn't cost much at all. Now, I can look at jars on the shelf, and know that I won't need to go to the store for those things. I still have a little more salsa to do, and as the tomatoes keep ripening I'll can them or make sauce with them, but the biggest part is behind me. BTW, I got this Zesty Salsa recipe from Mennonite Girls Can Cook, and it is wonderful. It's a bit spicier than my usual salsa. Randy said it was way too hot, but I thought it was rather...WONDERFUL! I guess I'm going to have to lower myself to make some for him with a little less hot stuff, but it's awfully hard to do. Salsa should be spicy!
I have been having a lot of fun making plans with Kristin for our Vintage Winter Gathering at the Church. Even the guys have gotten involved-last week they poured new cement and replaced the steps and porch. They got the lights working right and a couple electrical outlets fixed. Krisitn and I have been communicating back and forth with a few ladies, getting advice, putting our ideas together, and I think it will be a lot of fun. Kristin has been working on flyers, etc. She's really good at that! We decided on Nov. 21st and 22nd. Nov. 21st is a Friday and it will be an evening opening. I can't wait to see that neat old building lit up with Christmas!
When Randy reads to me in the mornings, and other relaxing moments, like sitting and visiting with friends, I enjoy doing some kind of handwork. I'm learning (and wishing I had a teacher) rug hooking. I'm learning pretty much with books. I am loving it. I got the latest Create and Decorate Magazine, and there was a Jack-o-Lantern shaker that I thought was really cute. I did change the eyes to a little more folk look, and I had a great time making it. I was pretty much on my way out the door, grabbing a bunch of wool, scissors, etc, and didn't end up following the pattern exactly (does anyone ever do that?). I grabbed a plastic microscope slide box that I got from a lady on Etsy to use as a small container for the shaker inside of the Jack. My Grandson, Caleb found me the rocks we used in the box to make the rattle, and we got him stuffed and put together in no time. Thank you little grandson!! So, here's a picture of my little Jack. While I'm at it, I'll show you Kristin's neat little Corny Fire Starters. She made them with an iron corncake mold, wax of different fall colors, and sawdust. Really cute Kristin!
What else? I got to go to my friend Kelley's for a primitive "fix" yesterday. I love to go to her house and look at all the stuff she has. Maybe next time I'll see if I can photograph her place and share with you what I'm talking about. You know how some people have that knack for finding things in a big way? That's Kelley. She's working on her own little at-home shop that I will tell you more about when she gets it going and everything in place. She gave me a preview and I think she'll have a blast doing it. Especially since it's at home!
So, ok, summer's ended, fall's begun fully, and with it comes the preparation for winter things like our first ever Vintage Winter show. Let the planning and fun begin!

4 comments:

BeFRuiTFuL KReaTioNS said...

Good Morning,

Glad to see you trying your hand at rug hooking and that jack o lantern shaker is sweet. Enjoy your plans for the Christmas gahtering.

A fellow self taught rug hooker.
JoEllen

Sue said...

Those fire starters look so prim & nice...You should give instructions for making them....I taught myself to crochet and cross stitch and now would like to learn to hook and needle punch...One is never to old to learn...
Hugs
Sue

Karen said...

Hey, I will give the directions!! Good idea!

Thistledew Farm said...

I'm sure you can find some hookers in your area to take a rug hooking class or sit in on a meet and greet. I am just starting hooking but am more into crochet and needle felting. I love the fire starters. I have one of those corn muffin tins on my wall....Thanks for the idea!