Saturday, September 27, 2008

Simple Corn Stick Fire Starters


These are so easy to make! Let me see if I can explain it without confusing anyone!
Get one of those cast iron corn stick pans, I got mine from a garage sale, but if you need to, antique stores always have them.
Gather old wax candles, stuff you don't need, preferably in light or fall colors. If you have white wax, you can add some crayons to color them.
Gather some fall fabrics, rip in strips for the husks.
So, you melt the wax, and get it the colors you like. Ours were already scented, or you can add scent to them. Stick the center of the fabric strips, (use a couple pieces), in the end of the mold. Pour the wax into the mold and let set. When set, pop out of the mold, and there you have your corn sticks. If I remember right, Kristin's ears can hang up by their husks, so you could make a garland with them. She has them actually put together to form two halves together and tied with strips of fabric and a tag added.

OK Kristin, if you have some revisions, let me know and I'll fix it!! Love, Mom

11 comments:

simple~needs said...

what a great idea!!
i could kick myself for sending my pan like that to the thrift store!! grrr.

Barn House said...

Hi Karen! Thanks for stopping by our blog and leaving the lovely comments. AND thanks for telling your friends about us!! We sure hope you can make it for the Season Finale...it's going to be a blast! :o)

JenW!~ said...

what a clever idea. Now I'll have to start looking for one of those pans. Thanks for visiting my blog/ I'm adding you to my blog roll.

Terri said...

What a great idea - you are so clever! We used to dip pine cones in melted broken crayons when I was a child, and use those as firestarters - they were kind of pretty, too, but I remember lots of sparks, so perhaps this is safer?

A Primitive Piece of Mine said...

Hi simple Karen...I found you tonight through searching through the top 100 crafting blog sites! I really enjoyed reading your blog, just knowing there is someone else out there that feels they are loosing time too! I love your jack-o-lantern that you hooked. I can't believe it is your first project! I started hooking about 5 years ago...it is one of the many many things I do. I finally found a little group in the area where I moved to a year ago. Up until then, I was just learning on my own, but I have made some really nice rugs I am so proud of...and so much fun to do. I love primitive crafting...I have not kids at home, one darling, no little granddaughter, and I am on disability...so I have lots of time, but still...I have so much to do...LOL...please,stop by and see some of what I do...
http://www.a-primitivepieceofmine.blogger.com...if I can answer any hooking questions...ask away, Cathryn

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen! thanks for visiting my blog! Your blog is very interesting, it sounds like we have some things in common :) Come back anytime...
Kath

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

I love this idea! And I agree, they would make a great garland!

Gettysburg Homestead said...

Great idea!!!!

Sue said...

Karen....
Thanks so much for posting this...I am so glad I asked as I would never of thought of putting the husks into the mold first...I bet you sell out of these fast at your fall shows...I just got a pattern for a needle punch pin keep and I have never done that before...so move over girl I won't be rug hooking but will be learning the punch needle or at least trying to learn...God bless you and yours...
Hugs
Sue

Debra said...

Thanks for such a great idea!
I am definitley going to try them!

Kristin said...

Well, I guess since you invited me, I'll correct you about what I did. I poured a thin layer of wax in the corn pan, then spread a few sprinkles of sawdust, added 1 length of hemp string folded in half, with the cut ends hanging out and pressed them into the waxy/wood mixture. (You could even unravvel the strings a bit to make them look a little stringier). And lastly, pour in another layer of wax and dust. Allow to cool or put it in the freezer to cool a little quicker of course! The rest of the info is perfect. They were simple, quick and fun to make! Thanks for the great idea mom, or whomoever you got the idea from... as it goes in the crafting world! :)