Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Oh shoot, I missed a great idea again!


In the sale we just had there was one of these dust pans, bright red even! I'm now kicking myself b/c I could have done this with that dust pan! Isn't it just the cutest idea? Junk Camp has lots of good ideas, huh?
One great thing, though. I sold the stove!!! Yippee! It's been hanging over my head for a year now, sitting in storage at my dad's, needing to be gone. The lady who bought it just loved it, and it's nice that it will have a good, loving home to go to. I would have kept it, except that I already have a wood cook stove. Now if I can sell the mangle I'll be really doing great! Those were two heavy things that are just really heavy to try to haul to shows.
I'm getting really holidayish feeling! I want to get my house all finished (in some cases redone, where the kids did a few things) and be able to rest and enjoy the season. I only have to real busy baking days this month to bake for, so the hardest part is behind me. I'm anxious to make some Bratzeli cookies; they're a Swiss cookie my Swiss grandmother used to make. They're along the lines of a hard cracker-type cookie, taste a little like a waffle cone. I have memories of Grandma making hers on a cast iron mold like a wafle maker, but real thin and they had a neat design in them. I would have loved to have had that bratzeli press, but no one in the family admits to having it, sadly. I just hope someone who has it appreciates it like I would have! But, we did get an electric type iron that works (probably easier) and so we can still have Grandma's traditional cookie.
Tomorrow I need to get up early and make a bread pudding with left over cardamom bread. I'm taking it to a ladies luncheon. I think I'll take some caramel sauce to drizzle over the top. Doesn't that sound good??

11 comments:

Debbie Busby said...

What a cute idea!! Sorry you missed your chance...BUT...I'm sure another one will come your way!! I loved seeing the wonderful pictures of the Vintage Gathering!! Sorry I could not make it!! Sounds like you are just busy busy busy with all kinds of fun stuff!! Happy you sold your stove to a good home!! debbie

The Texas Woman said...

I'm glad you sold your stove. I certainly loved it myself but alas, it and you were too far away and it (not you) was too heavy!

The Texas Woman

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Your blog is making me hungry.

LOL!

The Swiss cookies sound tasty. And the cardamom bread pudding sounds like sheer genius!

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

That is a cute idea! Congrats on selling the old stove. I would have loved to have it. Maybe the mangle will sell soon too.
Have a great week!

Wendy/TheCozyYellowHouse said...

That is a very cute idea!! And congrats on selling your stove!! And what a special memory of your gram and you get to pass it on to your children!! Take care Karen!!~Wendy

•♦•©The Olde Weeping Cedar •♦• said...

Hi Karen!
Thanks for visitng me...
I'm lovin' your blog :) So much 'good stuff' on it!!

Have a great weekend-
hugs-Kath

Laurie said...

I love the dust pan idea! I'm sure another one will come your way... And I'm so glad you sold your stove!

Anonymous said...

I have my grandmothers cast iron Bratzeli iron which I cherish. My husband and I will be spending two hours pressing cookies! Unfortunately, the new irons do not have the artwork depicting famous people and places of Switzerland. So we continue to use the antique one. I also had a good laugh when I went through my grandma's receipes and found that each lady had a slightly different recipe for the cookie. I can just imagine them tasting and judging each recipe. My recipe is even a combination of two!

Anonymous said...

I am seeing posts about bratzel irons. could someone please take pictures of your iron's and send to me marlesemloveall@yahoo.com we are having a family reunion and we have been making bratzels in my family for at least 200 years, I have a aunt who will not share the iron PICTUREs PLEASE

Anonymous said...

also anyone looking to sell a bratzel iron with the 8 switzerland pictures on it I am willing to buy
edelweiss, bear, federal palace, oak leaves, william tell, dea the bear goddess, goose please contact me
marlesemloveall@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

also anyone looking to sell a bratzel iron with the 8 switzerland pictures on it I am willing to buy
edelweiss, bear, federal palace, oak leaves, william tell, dea the bear goddess, goose please contact me
marlesemloveall@yahoo.com